09 March 2007

ASP.NET 2.0 DataBinding Redux

In a previous post I mentioned my skepticism about using ObjectDataSource to bind business objects in ASP.NET 2.0. My desire to "implement some well-defined interfaces in our business objects and just have this stuff work" is touched on by the EntitySpaces guys, but it's more than just what I mentioned and it's touched a nerve.

I think the musings that Microsoft may have yanked what support there was for design-time data binding in 2.0 in order to develop their own ORM functionality in ADO.NET v.next is likely correct. Just like Sandcastle-NDoc, Team System-NUnit-NAnt and the other things I mentioned previously, it seems Microsoft is going to go their own way and quash a good portion of the open source efforts to build on their tools.

No comments: