17 October 2005

The Tuna Speaks Management

Bill Parcels last week, commenting on Drew Bledsoe and Keyshawn Johnson having a sideline spat vs. Philadelphia after a dropped pass:
No, that was nothing. I mean that's nothing. Really, it's nothing. Those two high strung guys -- Actually I had told the team the week before or two weeks before: Hey listen if you don't trust each other enough to air out your differences, you are never going to have a team. If you are afraid of conflict within the team and afraid of confrontation within the team, you are never going to have a team. That's not a team. That's a bunch of guys soaking around wondering what the other guy is thinking. So, I am not saying that I encourage that, I tell them that you have to trust your teammates enough to be able to say what you want to say. If you don't do that, then you are never going to have a team. I have always believed that. You guys know from the teams I had. They weren't exactly uninhibited.
Why would I care about what Parcells has to say? His career has all been downhill since his greatest gig as coach of the Giants. Well, he does makes sense. So much sense:
Say what you think -- really, SAY it
Be in an environment where that is accepted
Hear it, digest it, move on
Use it to get better
How many places are out there where being professional means keeping your mouth shut? Or couching your point in well-laundered language? Or softening a meaning when it's said about the boss? Or working at a place where everyone wants things placid and coated in a smooth, white gloss? Where dissension is an evil thing?

I don't mean we should all be loose cannons. I just believe there is more to be gained by being frank at critical moments rather than holding back. The people will smooth it out between and among themselves, the organization will benefit.

No comments: