17 May 2005

A Friend's Passing

An old friend with whom I lost touch long ago passed away on Sunday. He was 39, taken by a brain tumor. I can't travel to the funeral tomorrow, but I wanted to let his family know I remember him, so I signed the funeral home guestbook online:

My memories of him are mostly from our childhood days in Martinsville, and they are happy memories. He helped me learn how to do things like ride a motorcycle (and I think of him every time I ride mine), laugh like it was all that mattered, and have the courage to face things I’d rather back away from. I lost touch with him years ago, but I am glad to have known him. My thoughts and prayers are with him and all of you.

Life, I'm reminded yet again (and I really didn't need to be, honest), is way, way too short and not predictable.

No comments: